ABOUT A YEAR AGO, the Evangelical Alliance, an evangelical Christian organization in the U.K, hit the breaking point with bad behavior among Christian bloggers. Name calling. Flaming. Death threats. Sexist and racist posts. Inappropriate jokes about Luther and Calvin.
1. You shall not put your blog before your integrity.
2. You shall not make an idol of your blog.
We broke this forthwith.
3. You shall not misuse your screen name by using your anonymity to sin.
4. Remember the Sabbath day by taking one day off a week from your blog.
Okay, we didn't break this rule. We take too many days off the way it is.
5. Honour your fellow-bloggers above yourselves and do not give undue significance to their mistakes.
We did not honor, but we did acknowledge, Stuff White People Like and their mistakes.
6. You shall not murder someone else’s honour, reputation or feelings.
7. You shall not use the web to commit or permit adultery in your mind.
8. You shall not steal another person’s content.
9. You shall not give false testimony against your fellow-blogger.
What if, as in this case, the blog sucks?
10. You shall not covet your neighbour's blog ranking. Be content with your own content.
Are you joking? TWR wouldn't envy the hits of, say, Stuff White People Like. Would it? Would it?